Architecture for Two with Lily Jiang (I) : What they don't tell you about Architecture School


Patrik Schumacher’s thesis on the crisis of architectural education begs the question on how realistic our architecture education should be framed. How much should we cram ourselves with information? How much experience should we acquire to be accepted into a firm? More importantly, if we had a chance to tell our past selves on the things we could’ve been prepared for, what would it be?
A few years ago, a few of my architecture friends and I started a brief series that reflected on our time during architecture school – our pre-architecture school experience to our first review to lessons we’ve learnt during our second year. Although it was short lived, it was clear that all of us were left with a very different impression of architecture school ever since our first assignment on our first day.
Looking back at the five years that have been occupied by architecture school – and like many of my friends who have finished their university days, we often question about the values and lessons we have picked up from our education. Most recently, my conversation with a good friend who has been working in Shenzhen for some time noted how architecture school has romanticised the process of architecture. Having briefly worked at a firm during my studies, I was well aware and prepared for the disillusionment of the working culture in the office. While the experience itself was indeed helpful – it left me feeling curious and inadequate considering I left the firm with greater awareness of the gaps missing in my architecture education.
In this series, I’ve teamed up with my friend Lily Jiang. The two of us have experienced very different paths and have reflected on different issues that we would’ve like to have known, things we have encountered during and after leaving architecture school. These are small memos to ourselves in the past and future and for anyone really.
This is only just the beginning, however, there is a lot to look forward to as the evolution of architecture education continues to spin forward for more critical discussions.

Things I Wish I learned in Architecture School
1.      You’re bound to feel competitive with everyone
(K) I don’t know if it is because I came from a friendly and competitive family and school – however there were times where I feel like I had to keep upping myself to be the very best. This is mentally exhausting especially if you’re a people pleaser. First year of architecture school is equivalent to being thrown into the deep end and learning all the foundation, and therefore you are prone to become a bit too proud of your work.
2.      There’s more to architecture than your GPA
(L) Throughout uni I always tried my best, then get super disappointed that my effort was never reflected in the grades. All that mattered to me was getting HD, I got worried as my GPA kept dropping. I thought I wouldn’t be able to find a job. Towards my final years of architecture, instead of being so caught up in a high distinction or a distinction, I think what began to matter more was critical thinking and how my design process was like. In other words, seeing it as a story-telling process.
As a piece of advice, I don’t think a number represents much of you as a designer, but by showcasing your portfolio it is almost presenting a piece of yourself to the audience. Focusing on creating a strong narrative that is engaging and clear is more crucial as a designer. Having a portfolio is like a gateway to your creative mind, it’s a glimpse of your thought process and way of designing.  It is a narrative of my career and it shows growth through the demonstration of different narrative processes.

3.      Those who think they know everything, really are just as nervous as you are
(K) I cannot stress this enough. Sure, some of them did come from an a family of architects otherwise have caught up every single episode of grand designs otherwise visit all the architecture conferences. But it is only until they put pen to paper – they are facing another kind of pressure – to pull off what they know. On the other hand, there’s me, a fish out of water not knowing what an elevation truly means.

4.      Don’t panic! Keep calm and carry on
(L) Assignments can get really stressful at times, especially studio/design. The closer I was to the submission deadline the more intense I become. I was like a deck of pyramid cards, a small sigh and I would fall apart. Many thoughts pass through my mind:
Was my idea good enough?
Has all the design problems been resolved well?
What if the critics don’t like it?
Do I have enough time to finish everything?
I still haven’t started my laser cutting template…
And on top of that I had to feed myself, sleep and survive.
What helped me mentally overcome these hard times was my family and friends, they helped me get through thick and thin. I was able to get over my emotional breakdowns and faced on assignments properly.

5.      You are going to be okay.
(K) Looking back on my five years in architecture school, I was blindly working out my issues without understanding why. Perhaps my years in architecture school was mixed with panic, stress and unbeknownst to me a lot of anxiety. Even though my friends were constantly telling me that I was going to be fine, I was still unsure about myself because of my constant comparison and competitiveness with others. It only took the very last and final semester of architecture school for me to let go and accept that my efforts are just as valid as everyone else’s. After all, everyone has their own obstacles and challenges they must surpass to get to where they need to be.
Everything is going to be okay.
6.      Be hungry to learn
(L) It’s hard to keep curious when you are being force fed to study by your tutors. Now that I graduated, I regret not learning more things. I never took advantage of the student discount tickets to architecture conferences, workshops and networking events. Such luxury wasted! Get your hands on university’s facilities, they are there to be used. Try out 3D printers, the CNC machine, wood work, anything. By learning these stuff and different software programs earlier comes with greater knowledge and skills which is beneficial to both everyday life and workplace.

7.      Build your network early
(L) Ultimately, don’t be afraid to ask for job opportunities.
I have an introverted personality so going to social events has never been my cup of tea. I much prefer to stay at home and play video games. I struggled to find a job on my own so I thought it was about time for me to attend networking events. At first it felt really awkward, I was nervous and struggled to carry on engaging conversations with people. Overtime, I became more confident and made quite a lot connections. LinkedIn is a great resource that has helped me to stay in contact with the people I met. 

8.       Be open to possibilities
(L) One thing I regret the most from architecture was not taking enough overseas exchange trips! I only did an architectural sketchbook program in Rome, Italy over the mid-year break for three weeks. The program was short but definitely the best experience I ever had in architecture. I learnt to adapt living in a foreign country, it is the best way to learn about the culture, people, architecture and history. Travelling definitely makes you grow as a person, and I would do more exchange programs in a heartbeat. Don’t be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and try something new, it all takes a bit of courage and taking that first step!

9.      Architecture school shouldn’t consume your life
(K) This one took me almost five years to come to accept that my life shouldn’t revolve simply around my studies. Sure – I had a part time job that separated myself from being involved in architecture drawings constantly (because I knew some time in the distant future, I will be swimming in a pile of drawings and architecture related conversations), however I still experienced difficulties in pulling myself away from work and it really burned me out. Similar to point three above, make sure you have your hobbies, and time for yourself and loved ones. Even if you are taking a break – try not to feel guilty when you’re not involved in architecture – we all need a refresher, and it is completely okay.
 
10.   It is okay to be unemployed for a while after you graduate from architecture school
(K) I experienced several panic attacks from the thought of being unemployed. After coming back from Hong Kong after my short term work – I was under a lot of stress and paranoia for the first two and a half weeks and was job hunting furiously. The truth is, sometimes you don’t need to rush into things and learn to take your time. However – you  need to be strategic in how to use your time to achieve where you want to be. Find hobbies, read, listen to lectures, exercise, find other ways to utilise the skills you have got!
In Response to:

About Lily Jiang // @lilyj_studio //

Lily graduated from University of Queensland in Bachelor of Architectural Design. She previously undertook two and a half years studying a Bachelor of Interior Architecture at Monash University in Melbourne.
She enjoys graphic design, and upon completing a Certificate IV in Graphic Design, she has been working as a freelance graphic designer.
Lily enjoys travelling and is always searching out new perspectives on the world. She is interested in modular architecture, and the expression of narrative stories and bodily experiences within spatial design. She believes that without the interior and event spaces, there is no architecture.
More on her works can be found here.

Comments

Popular Discussions