Expectation vs. Reality III: When the Love Letter Becomes Unwanted


Over tacos and being miserable with the realisation how lacking we were in trivial knowledge from Trivial Pursuit, my friends and I were discussing about taking aesthetic photos for dating apps. While the idea was a mere banter, the ideas that kept sprouting were evidently inspired from our constant scrolling down the square images that constantly pop up on Instagram. These photos were often captured through a process of dreamy filters, correct ‘candid’ poses and exceptional cropping that gives us the final aesthetic. However, we must also remember that it is the kind of backdrop and setup that allows us to achieve the ‘Instagram Worthy’ photo – and these backdrops that are often discovered accidentally and later becoming the popular backdrop for others can become a love letter to our surroundings.

We eventually set up our mini photo shoot over NGV's Friday Nights event while waltzing through Escher x Nendo exhibition. It was obvious that there was a social media strategy laced between the artworks. From a room full of unfolding gable houses (for those architects who dislike gable houses, please see that there is a beauty behind this form) to a chandelier composed of 50,000 cut house and a room of oddly bent wire that forms a house when observed in the right position it became a very easy trap for us to pose and take photos. Having said while we admired the photo locations provided, it partially detracted us from properly appreciating the artworks that were displayed in the gallery. Guiltily, we have become difficult obstacles for others to properly enjoy the artwork as well. In a way it became slightly frustrating because of the self-debate I had in trying to enjoy each artwork while also attempting to capture a good photo among my friends.

So at what point, would our love letter to these dreamy spaces become a threat?

Last year, during my spontaneous trip to Hong Kong, my best friend and I decided to act as shameless tourists (I was partially a tourist considering I did grow up in here) by seeking the most sought-after Instagram places. While it was a fun experience, we still left the location with a mixture of cringe, embarrassment and self-mockery. The experience itself has made me question about our own behaviour and visitors’ behaviour when the simple action of taking photos ‘for the gram’ has left an unfortunate scar on the landmark.

I’m sure many are aware of the two infamous places in Hong Kong: Monster Building in Quarry Bay and Choi Hung (still think they should call it Rainbow ha). These residential places became the centre of the public eye after garnering exposure through film, digital media and public competition. As these spaces do provide a beautiful backdrop that allows us to capture our expression with the right mood and posing – there is a damaging effect.

The thought originally stemmed from the constant exposure of my favourite house – ‘House NA’ by Sou Fujimoto. Many of the architects and friends who are studying architecture would make an opportunity to visit the beautiful structure itself. However, knowing that the structure is still a house, there are still photos of it taken. While I am partially aware that the clients of the house have accepted that their house has now become a stage for public, there is a sense of weariness and stress that is palpable through the amount of curtains drawn on the glass panels, let alone the car that was rather famous in the photo sits there in the garage, silently collecting dust as well as storing boxes of unknown memories inside the passenger seats. The staged and tidy presentation of the house somehow gave a sense of weight to my phone, where it somehow became rather heavy to carry in my hands, I wanted to remember the building but I didn’t want to be an intruder.

While the weight of guilt eventually lifted as we disappeared from the space, the thought of carrying a phone turned weapon returned as I quickly paced myself into the courtyard of the Monster Building: the security guard observed me with his exhausted eyes, aunties whispering among themselves while casting disapproving side-eye glances, another has returned with an unwanted shutter noise. I could see why, the constant noises made from the shutters and silent clicks on our phones has evidently cracked the peaceful atmosphere the residents once enjoyed. 

It was a beautiful sight indeed when I walked into the Quarry Bay complex. Windows knitted together by the hanging laundry and air-con unit was a truly marvellous sight. Of course this is a common scene to witness in Hong Kong, it was the high density that made this landmark rather unforgettable. I partially regretted not bringing my actual camera with me and instead relied on the raw footage from my phone. It was only when I stepped back to observed the overwhelming scene that I realised that there was an attempted sign placed by the residents forbidding people to post photos of the place. 

Click, click, snap!

A space that is public though claimed to be private. It was clear that there was an unwanted attention this area was receiving. Albeit, people were still taking photos despite the heeded warnings. Even I felt unwelcomed within the public courtyard itself. 

"Doing it for the gram". Because of the high accessibility to the internet nowadays, coupled with people's excitement and pride of the photos they have taken, it has allowed people to fall into the easy trap of showing the world of the places we have been and accomplished. Of course it is having fun a the same time, I do believe that there is the importance of consideration: how much publicity should we give a place before it becomes a nightmare for the place itself? 




Click, click, snap!

Comments

Popular Discussions